WEIPA ANNUAL PIG HUNT 2011 ‐ RULES OF THE COMPETITION
1. All hunters must understand all the rules and regulations of the competition and a
map will be provided when nomination fees are paid. Nomination fees must be in by
Friday 2nd September, no later than 7.00pm . Hunters will leave in order of
2. Nominations can be payed for at GOLF CLUB Tuesday 9th Aug from 4.00 till 7.00pm
Tuesday 16th Aug from 4.00 till 7.00pm
Tuesday23rd Aug from 4.00 till 7.00pm
3. Only 3 hunters to a group, of which 2 must be locals [i.e. Weipa, Napranum, Mapoon,
Scherger or Aurukun address] every person going on the hunt is classified as a hunter
and therefore must also pay the nomination fee.
4. All hunters must be at GOLF CLUB by 4.15pm on the evening of the hunt for sign on
and reading of rules , hunt will begin at 5.00pm and those who choose to leave
immediately will leave in order on nomination
5. All hunters must return to the Golf Club by 5.00pm on Saturday and sign off to be able
to weigh in any kills for the competition. Every hunter must register their number of
kills. No kills will be accepted after 5.00pm/1700 hrs. SCALES OPEN AT 8.00am till
11.00 then again at 3.00pm.
6. BOUNDARIES –NO SHOOTING IN SHADED AREAS. REFER TO MAP PROVIDED.
7. At the beginning of the hunt, sections of the pig to be bought back to claim 1 pig will
be drawn from the hat at 5.00pm on the day of the hunt (Fri 16th Sept)
8. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HUNTERS TO NOTIFY STATION OWNERS OR
PROPERTY OWNERS FOR PERMISSION TO HUNT ON THEIR PROPERTY, FAILING TO
NOTIFY STATION OR PROPERTY WILL BE AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
9. Any hunters that arrive at the Golf Club later than 6.00pm on the evening of the hunt
will wait until other hunters who arrived on time have left for the hunt, irrespective of
the order of leaving. All Hunters will have the rules read to them on the evening of the
10. Any hunters that have not checked off by 7.00pm from the Golf Club will be
11. There will be an interval between each group of hunters leaving the Golf Club. This is
for safety reasons when driving on the roads.
12. All pigs must be taken under fair chase conditions on the day of the Pig Hunt.
13. The prizes for the most pigs will awarded to the hunter/s with the most pigs returned
to the weigh‐in, regardless of the number of hunters in a group.
14. Any of these rules and regulations breached by any of the hunters, are liable to
immediate disqualification of the hunter, or group of hunters. Protests‐ must be
lodged in writing by 5.30pm. Protests will cost $100.00 if the protest is upheld, the
money will be refunded, and otherwise it will be forfeited. Any hunter or group of
hunters that has had a protest held against them will not be allowed to enter any
other Pig Hunt held in Weipa. All monies raised will be donated to a local Club/Charity
15. SAFETY. We recommend for persons to wear brightly coloured clothing, carry an epirb
and for the hunter to make sure they can clearly see what they are aiming at. Safety is
of a paramount importance in this competition. Pigs are pest, people are precious. Be
safe kill the pigs and NOT the people. If found shooting in the shaded areas of map
provided, the hunter/s will be disqualified.
16. NO FIREARMS TO WEIGH IN AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION
17. All dogs must be restrained at Weigh‐in returned to a lock‐up facility by 6.00pm
18. Tusk measurement will be average of outside curl of both tusks from tip to gum.
Presentation of tusks announced on morning.
19. Any team is eligible for only one official random draw prize. Any team can enter and
win any mystery weight, category pig and mystery prize and win more than once.
20. NO QUADS are to be used for any means during hunt, motor bikes etc.
21. No hunting on Watson River, Bertihaugh, Merluna , Piccaninny Plains stations or
Scherger Raaf Base held land .